Saturday, October 26, 2013

So much wisdom can be shared in such few words

I am completely guilty when it comes to being verbose.  Why use 10 words when you can use 100?! I seem to come from a camp where I have learned more is more rather than less is more.  Not just when it comes to words either, I'd like to add.  'nough said! (just to show I can abbreviate with the best of them!)

I do have a love for words, and one of my great career memories was working with a project team where we used to have "word of the day".  Each day a word was presented to the team by one of us and we all had our chance to explain what we thought it meant.  A great brain workout and a great start to the day.  I suppose this goes to explain, in some small way, why I am not a fan of abbreviated language or words.  I am known for using texts with full sentences and have often defended this amongst those that think I'm nuts (many good friends actually!).  I realise that I'm in a minority -  I'm just a bit of an old fashioned communicator, clearly hanging on to old fashioned language values.  I'm happy in my skin with that…for now!. I also feel that misunderstandings can come all too often with abbreviated communication, but let's not get me started on that again. (earlier blog)

On stating the above,  I do also believe that great messages for insight, inspiration and motivation can be brief and extremely powerful. They sort of deliver a sound bite with a punch, if you get my drift.

Here is a great example that I have just come across, and it moved me to write this blog entry.

Here's to powerful brevity, shown here in an example and context of learning and inspiring. This is also a message that I fully subscribe to and hopefully encourage.  Wish I'd written it! Wise words.  I hope you enjoy.  Have a fantastic week.





1 comment: